Thursday, September 1, 2011

Just Keep Swimming

I always forget how overwhelming the first week of school is. Between getting used to a new school (where EVERYONE is new, and routines are in place yet), to rushing home to be with my son, and getting up 2 to 3 times a night for my growing boy, I am completely exhausted!

Luckily we only had two days with students this week, and we now have a 4 day weekend for Labor Day. I will take it! I do have a very good class this year. Of course, they are always good the first week! Ask me in three weeks and I may change my mind! They seem like a lot of fun, and very smart so it should be a good school year.

Because it is a new school year, none of our routines are in place. Simple things like how to take students to the bus isn't really worked out yet, so it has been very interesting. I think it will take a good two to three weeks to get everything worked out and running smoother.

Planning lessons hasn't been that bad, just getting into a new routine has. Normally, we had an hour after school so I would do planning, grading and copying then. Now, we can leave right after the students get on the bus, and I REFUSE to stay any longer than my contract says (Judge me if you must). Instead, I have been getting to school an hour EARLY to do everything. That way I can rush home to be with Patrick! Hopefully this new routine works as well as what I did last year. I also refuse to bring home work, so I hope I can get it all completed in the morning.

One thing that is completely overwhelming is the amount of secretarial CRAP we have to do. We have to have so much DATA posted in our room it is ridiculous. I seriously don't know when I am going to have the time to do it. It sounds like a great idea to include kids in goal setting, and setting plans and studying data, but in all honesty, it doesn't help them learn. I don't care what research says, I see the faces of my 23 students and they don't care. They would much rather have engaging lessons then keep a folder full of charts and data. Oh well. I will always do what is asked of me, but at some point I wish I could just do what my degree is for, instead of all of this other BS!

I know it will all work itself out soon, I just have to keep going until then!

1 comment:

Bina said...

I completely agree! I have a feeling that it won't be long before we are required to have a "data wall" and create "data charts" for each kid. Our principal extended our day 15 minutes, changed recess from 30 minutes to 15 minutes (only 3 times a week) and took 5 minutes off of their encore time. All of this in order to have more time on task. The good thing is I only have to teach math and science this year, since we are switching classes. I really like that part of it, but it still is crazy. I like both of my classes, but my homeroom is really sweet (even though we are still in the honeymoon period). I hope you end up liking your new school, I hate that you have to get up so early to be able to get everything done. I'm going to call you soon, I know I say that all the time. I'm such a slacker! Love and miss you!!!